The Hillsboro City Schools has 2 clinics; one at the Elementary Complex (Rm 2114) and one at the Middle School/High School complex (Rm 1321). Katie Greer, BSN, RN is the district school nurse. The elementary clinic is also staffed by Nicole Shawhan, medical assistant. The MS/HS clinic is also staffed by Dee Brown, health aide. Please refer to our district medication policy to become familiar with the necessary steps to follow if medication is needed by your student during the school day. For the safety of your student, medication can only be accepted by a member of our clinic staff.
If a student becomes ill or injured at school, he/she should report to the clinic as soon as possible. Minor first aid may be administered if indicated in the case of an injury. If a student has a temperature of 100 degrees or higher while at school, they will be sent home. For an illness or injury of any serious nature the parent will be notified. If a life squad is needed school personnel will ride to the hospital with the student and stay until a parent or guardian can arrive.
Keep your child home from school if:
- Your child was sick with vomiting or watery diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
- Your child has a fever of 100 degrees or higher at any time within the last 24 hours.
- Your child is being treated for a bacterial infection and has not had 24 hours of antibiotics.
- Your child has a lasting cough or cold with fever and body aches.
- Your child has crusted or matted eyelashes and/or green, yellow, or white sticky eye drainage along with eye redness. Please note: your child needs to see the doctor for medication and can return to school with treatment or a doctor note.
When your child has a cold please remember:
- Give the school a telephone number where you can be reached if your child gets worse.
- Remind your child to cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing. Teach your child to cough or sneeze into their bent arm (inside of elbow).
- Teach your child to wash hands often. Encourage good hand washing at school and at home. It’s the best way to stop the spread of illness or disease!
**Clinic staff will notify you of clinic visits for serious injuries and illnesses and for any head injuries.